Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's the Final Countdown

As the 2011-2012 school year winds down, I thought it would be appropriate to share with you a few of my favorite memories of my 2nd graders.
This semester, we studied world cultures and ended with a study of our ancestors. My students were supposed to go home and ask their parents where their ancestors lived. Here are a few of the more memorable responses:
1." Some of my ancestors were from Africa. And some from China. I think you can see the Chinese a little bit, right?"
2." My mom said my ancestors are from Jackson because that's where my grandmother lives."
3." I forgot to ask my mom, but as far as I can remember my ancestors have always lived in Vicksburg."
4. "We are from England. And there is probably a little Pocahantas in me too."
5. "I was born in Jackson, but I live here now. That's all I know."
Apparently we need a refresher course in what an ancestor actually is...

One day, we were talking about President's Day, and more specifically Abraham Lincoln. We were trying to figure out how old he was when he died, and my students decided they needed to know how old I am. Most popular guess for my age: 19.



1 comment: