Wednesday, September 29, 2010

CNN Hero

For those of you who do not already know, a really wonderful lady from Vicksburg is a Top 10 CNN Hero. Her name is Linda Fondren. You can vote for her to win this year's CNN Hero on cnnheroes.com. You can read her story and vote as many times as you like each day.
What makes her so wonderful? She is committed to making the residents of our town healthier and more in shape! You may recognize her name from Shape Up Sisters- the gym that she owns. She is also super involved in the community in anything related to staying healthy or in shape.
I have had the wonderful opportunity to work with her the past two weeks at our school. She has chosen the faculty and staff of Bowmar Elementary as a Shape Up Teachers pilot program. She comes to our school each Wednesday afternoon and does a workout with the teachers. She also gave each of us a FREE 10 week membership to Shape Up Sisters, as well as FREE access to a personal trainer for 1 hour a week. This is really awesome of her, and we really appreciate her effort and commitment.
You may be wondering what I'm doing in this program since I am pregnant- I am certainly not trying to lose weight just yet. But I felt that it was a great opportunity to work with someone who can tell me what I can do pregnant to stay healthy for myself and the baby.
At the meeting today, a nutritionist spoke about healthy eating. These talks always make me feel super unhealthy and like I may drop dead at the age of 25 from poor nutrition. The next step in this health quest is to begin keeping a food diary. We don't have to start until next week, but I wrote down all the things I ate today. It really isn't too bad- unless you count the 2 1/2 breakfasts I ate and the ENTIRE 3 Musketeers bar right before our "healthy" meeting. Oops... But I am really trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. You should all do the same!

So please, if you get a chance, vote for LINDA FONDREN at cnnheroes.com! She really deserves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment